San Gerardo de Dota, a small community of farmers of apple, peach, plum, avocado, and blackberry. Surrounded by the crystal clear waters of the Savegre River, whose wonderful tributaries have made it an excellent place for trout farms.
San Gerardo de Dota is a tranquil place with a wonderful and surprising amount of flower and bird species making this region one of the best known for being the primary habitat for the stunning Quetzal in Costa Rica.
Among its attractions, we can list:
- Access to the cloud forest.
- Natural straight trail about 500 meters long.
- Over 160 species of birds, such as the Trogon, a great amount of humming birds, and of course the stunning Quetzal.
- Birdwatching tours, featuring the Quetzal.
- Trout farms. Apple, peach, and plum farms.
- Savegre River: In an indigenous tongue, it means dangerous river with great falls. It forms stunning waterfalls, its source is at the height of km 78, where the Center for Trout Research and Production Ojo de Agua de Dota is located at, owned by INCOPESCA, Costa Rica’s Farming and Fishing Institute, which produces and farms the Rainbow Trout.